Sunday, March 14, 2010

Two days to go

Spent a wonderful evening with Don and Roberta at their Toronto home, drinking a fine Argentinean Malbec - a warm-up of things to come. They had a wonderful array of pictures from their adventure in Argentina last year and apart from, why would anyone miss going to Mendoza for all kinds of reasons, it made me want to be there now - will be soon and will report on the vino.

Seems funny that this time next week I shall be sleeping in San Carlos de Bariloche, to give it its full name, right in the Andes and close to all those wonderful hikes I have been looking at from the log cabin in Ontario. Helen has been very kind and given me all kinds of good tips for heading backcountry, thanks Hel. Joni says she is heading there next year and whatever I tried I could not pry her away from an Olympic Vancouver and the rain! So, it is solo on Tuesday and back to the country I was in 28 years ago before the Malvinas war. Many more motives for going than hiking but that is right-up at the top and will let you know about the others as the trek unfolds.

2 comments:

  1. There's obviously a book in the works Alex! I'm sure the Irish connection will surface at some point. Hope you're enjoying the food - I hear the steaks are legendary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it was only work that kept me from the sojourn this year -- not the big O, or the rain! Yes indeed, next year I will be keen! Apparently my friends from Bariloche are already enroute back to Canada for the season ...

    ReplyDelete